Why an A+ Rated AgencyA+ Rated agencies undergo verification, are required to submit semi-annual disclosures, and are subject to on-site and surprise audits. We only award the A+ Rating to the agencies that meet our Standards and Ethics criteria.
Home Care You Can Trust
With so many home care choices, the Home Care Standards Bureau makes it easier to choose a home care agency you can trust. HCSB A+ Rated home care agencies are held to the highest standards in providing quality home care aides, home maker services, companion services and nursing services in the client’s home.
What our A+ Rating Means to You
Agencies that are A+ Rated from the Home Care Standards Bureau (HCSB) are continuously audited to maintain their rating and undergo scheduled and unannounced on-site visits. This means that your loved ones are being provided quality care by a home care agency that requires multi-tiered background checks, on-going caregiver education, and a motor vehicle policy that caregivers with vehicles have a clean driving record and proper insurance.
- The agency must be fully and properly licensed by applicable state and federal regulatory organizations.
- The agency must complete and submit a semi-annual disclosure form to the HCSB compliance department.
- The agency must have on staff, advisory committee, or Board, one qualified person in the field of aging that meets the HCSB requirements.
- The agency owner, operating manager, or principle, must have been in the paying home care business for at least one year.
- The agency must have no unresolved complaints with state licensing agencies.
- The agency must agree to abide by and sign the HCSB Regulatory Board Code of Standards and Ethics.
- The agency must agree to both scheduled and unannounced on-site audits.
Agency Caregiver Requirements:
- Agencies must have a multi-tiered Background Check Policy for all caregivers employed or contracted by the agency.
- Agencies must have a Motor Vehicle Policy in place to ensure caregivers are licensed and insured if using transportation for agency.
- Agency caregivers (employed or contracted by the agency) must be proficient in the language of the population being served.
- All caregivers undergo the following for the agency to maintain their A+ Rating:
- Pass caregiver training and exams within the first five months of obtaining the A+ rating or pass an exam that demonstrates competency.
- All caregivers employed (at least 90%) or contracted by the agency must have all applicable licenses.
Home is not only where the heart is, but where our minds feel most at peace and our bodies feel most at rest. Home Care Standards Bureau’s mission is to help people make the most informed decision regarding home care for their loved ones, and provide guidance for families and discharge planners considering non-medical home care local agencies.
HCSB rates home care agencies on a stringent set of criteria set by our regulatory board. Only those agencies that meet those standards earn the A+ rating. The HCSB requires semi-annual disclosure statements from the agencies, and performs both planned and surprise audits to ensure that the agencies are meeting, or exceeding, those high standards.